Celebrating Valentine’s day in style?
Valentine’s Day is when we all try to make time for our special someone and perhaps splash out on a special gift to celebrate that relationship. If you are treating your loved one this Valentine’s Day, then it’s likely you’ll have all the ‘accoutrements’ prepared as well – wrapping paper, thoughtful card, perhaps even a candlelight dinner or your special song as backdrop for presenting the gift…
But have you thought about your insurance?
Duncan Sutcliffe, director, Mann Broadbent, commented: “Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the worst can happen – accidents, fires, thefts, floods. If you are putting the time, effort and financial investment into getting the perfect gift, then it is important to make sure you have the right protection in place.”
Mann Broadbent, working with Aviva, has some top tips to help protect your precious gift:
- Check your insurance policy is suitable to cover any significant new purchases – and check that you have broad cover for all risks.
- If you have a number of precious items then don’t have them all in one place – this way if the worst should happen you are unlikely to lose everything.
- Speak to your insurance broker or insurer to specify rare or valuable items to make sure they’re listed on your insurance policy.
- Take photos or even videos of your items, showing as much detail as possible – keep these photos and any documents somewhere safe should you need them in the event of a claim.
- Consider using a fire safe to protect precious items.
- Get your items valued regularly as prices and markets change depending on how popular things are at any given time – by having your items valued at least every three years, you can make sure everything is adequately insured.
Duncan concluded: “Paperwork can be tedious and very unromantic but a few minutes invested in ensuring your special gift is properly insured will save considerable heartache should anything happen to it.”