How to get winter sports travel insurance
Whether you are planning a snowboarding holiday with friends or a once in a lifetime trip to Lapland with family, it is important to have the right winter sports travel insurance in place to cover you – because even something as seemingly straightforward as a sleigh ride may not be covered by a standard travel insurance policy.
All winter sports are considered fairly high risk due to the snow, ice and altitude increasing the chance of injury. Winter sports travel insurance enables you to enjoy a range of winter activities with the reassurance that you have the right level of cover in place.
At Mann Broadbent, we provide excellent travel insurance with winter sports as an optional add-on and won’t send your bank account into a rapid decline.
What is classed as ‘Winter Sports’?
Winter sports are recreational activities played on snow or ice. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating, sleigh rides and dog-sledding are the most popular forms of winter activity.
Some more extreme or unusual winter sports include mono skiing, slalom, half pipe, heli-skiing and tobogganing.
What is covered under winter sports travel insurance policies?
Travel insurance with winter sports will typically cover all popular activities on the slopes (on-piste) for an array of risks such as;
- lost or stolen ski pass
- sports equipment loss, damage or theft
- Piste closures
- too much or too little snow
- personal liability if you cause harm to another individual
- mountain rescue
For activities classed as more extreme, including competitive or off-piste skiing and snowboarding, it is crucial to ensure that the insurance you’re purchasing will cover you.
What do I need to look for in a winter sports travel insurance policy?
Make sure you have coverage for the most essential items to you, just as you would with any other travel insurance policy. Financial restrictions and policy exclusions are two examples of this.
Things to look out for specifically are:
- Excess – the amount you’ll have to pay into a claim. Find out whether this number is per person or policy if you have a joint policy, and see whether various products have varying excesses. Consider realistically the amount you can afford to pay with all excess amounts.
- Cancellation – Make sure you’ve got the same amount or more than your trip’s cost.
- Medical Expenses – any expenditures made to prevent or treat an illness or injury. This can be expensive, so don’t be tempted to cut corners on this to save money in the short term, and ensure that you also get repatriation included with the cover.
Annual winter sports travel insurance
Mann Broadbent has teamed up with Jackson Lee Underwriting to provide you with a quick and easy way to obtain a quote and purchase sports travel insurance and holiday travel insurance online.
You can choose to purchase a single trip policy to cover one trip only or annual travel insurance with winter sports to cover several trips, for individuals, families or groups.
The best time to buy winter sports insurance is straight after booking your trip, so don’t delay – get a winter sports travel insurance quote today. To be covered for winter sports be sure to select the ‘Winter Sports Extension’ checkbox when completing the form.